Concurrent Enrollment at Community College
Concurrent enrollment is an opportunity for current high school students to also take courses at a community college. All current high school students who wish to be concurrently enrolled at a community college need to get the high school permission form signed by their guidance counselor before they are allowed to register for any course. Each community college has its own form and process for registering for classes so please make sure you read all instructions! Links located on the sidebar of this page under "concurrent enrollment info" will take you to the specific campus procedures.
Age restrictions: Most community colleges require students to complete 10th grade before they are allowed to enroll, but some are also open to students who have completed 9th grade. You will need to check the requirements of the community college for all concurrent enrollment age requirements.
Guidelines to Consider
- It is not mandatory or expected that high school students take a college class to be admitted to college
- All grades will be part of a student’s permanent college record that will follow them in the future
- All classes and grades must be reported to colleges
- To verify which courses offered at community colleges are UC/CSU transferable and in which category, refer to https://doorways.ucop.edu/list/app/home/
- Classes taken at a community college will be recorded on a student’s college transcript and will not be transferred back to the high school transcript. It is the student’s responsibility to report college courses on college applications and submit official transcripts during the application process.
Concurrent Enrollment Instructions for DeAnza
If you are interested in taking a class at DeAnza through Concurrent Enrollment, please do the following:
- Check to make sure the class you want is being offered this quarter and that you have met the pre-requisites. The pre-requisites are listed in the course description.
- Register as a student at DeAnza through CCCApply on DeAnza's website
- You will received your DeAnza ID# by email from "admissions" within 1-3 days.
- Once you have received your DeAnza ID number, fill out the blue concurrent enrollment form in the guidance office and list the classes you may want to take.
- You do not need to indicate which section you want to take, just the course name and number. We are approving you for the course, not a particular day/time.
- Even if you only plan to take one class, you should list possible classes you are interested in taking in case one of them is full. You will not be able to sign up for a class unless it is listed on your concurrent enrollment form.
- You and your parents need to sign on the front and back of the form and submit it your guidance counselor's inbox.
- You can pick up your signed and stamped form 2 days after submission from Mrs. Hamilton in the Guidance Office. She is here from 10am-2pm.
- Take your completed form to DeAnza's Admissions and Records office (the address is at the top of the DeAnza form).