Study Buddy Society (SBS)
The Study Buddy Society program is an after-school program geared towards helping students academically. The program serves current MVHS students that need support in Math, Science and English. There are several ways for students to qualify:
- The student received a D, F or I in Math, Science and/or English
- A senior who does not meet graduation requirements
- The student is ELD or SPED and needs support in ANY subject
SBS tutoring takes place on campus with a MVHS host teacher. The typical session structure is listed below:
- Sessions are typically two days a week from 3:15-4:15 pm
- Students choose a Monday and Wednesday, Tuesday and Thursday OR 7th period schedule
- Students commit to an entire semester (not a drop-in program)
- Attendance will be taken and students are expected to come prepared with appropriate materials
- Illness is the only accepted reason for an excused absence. If a student has more than two unexcused absences, or consistently comes ill-prepared, they will be asked to leave the program
- Most students concentrate on homework in subject areas where they are having difficulty. However, tutors can also help students prepare for the High School Exit Exam
Tutors are current MVHS students who offer their time and expertise to fellow students at no charge. Tutors must fill out an application in order to be considered for the program. In addition, tutors must show academic strength through grades. In order to familiarize themselves with the program and be successful in their role, new tutors will review a slide presentation with the program coordinator.
Printed applications can be found at the SBS Office located in the library. The number of available tutors is limited, therefore, students will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. The SBS program is committed to helping students achieve their best through peer-tutoring. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need to be tutored, please fill out the Tutee Application.
If you would like to become a tutor, please fill out the Tutor Application.
The Study Buddy Society (SBS) is committed to equal opportunity for all individuals in education. The SBS program shall be free from discrimination based on gender, sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, lack of English skills, handicap or the perception of one or more of such characteristics. Reasonable accommodations are available for students with disabilities. The student and/or parent/guardian should contact the case manager (for a student in special education) or guidance counselor (for a student with a 504 plan) to request accommodations.